Today is our second article in our series to improve and teak our WordPress websites and blogs. In yesterdays post we discussed WordPress Maintenance. Today we are going to look at tweaking our website or blog to improve it ranking in the search engines.
That’s right we’re talking about …
WordPress SEO optimization
One of the reasons why so many bloggers and webmasters are drawn towards WordPress is the fact that WordPress SEO optimization is so easy! Even the default WordPress settings will still let you rank in the search engines, but if you really want to see the best results, then make use of these free plugins and settings.
1) Change Your Permalinks: Before you even install a plugin, you’ll want to change the setup of your blog for the best WordPress SEO optimization. Go to you permalinks settings under the main “Settings” menu, and use the custom setting /%postname%/. The reason for this is that it helps feature your keywords in your URL to rank higher in search engines.
2) SEO Friendly Images: Words aren’t the only things that can send free search engine traffic your way – images can, too! Use this plugin to fill in the image tags to give your SEO a boost – http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/seo-image/
3) Robots Meta: If you want to have complete control over various robot tags on your site then this plugin will make it as easy as possible - http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/robots-meta/
4) All In One SEO Pack: This has long been one of the most famous and popular of the free WordPress SEO optimization plugins available. It works by making it very easy for you to set the title, description and keywords of your pages to help the search engines know what they’re supposed to be about - http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/all-in-one-seo-pack/
5) SEO Pressor: This is, in fact, the only plugin on this list that you’ll need to pay for. But it’s included here due to how useful it can be. It lets you know exactly what you need to do in order to improve your on page SEO - http://www.seopressor.com/
6) SEO Smart Links: One way to help improve your search engine rankings, and get your readers to stick around reading your content for longer, is to interlink various pages and posts on your blog. This plugin makes it easy to do by linking certain pages according to the keywords you choose -
7) Simple Tags: If you want to make use of keyword tags in your posts, but find that it’s taking you too long, then this will make it far easier for you to do -
8) Google XML Sitemaps: Although the plugin name mentions Google, this is actually useful for all of the search engines. It creates a sitemap to help them crawl your pages better -
The truth is that WordPress SEO optimization can be as simple or as complicated as you want it to be. A plugin will exist for just about any purpose you can think of, meaning there’s really no excuse not to make your site the best it can be for the search engines to find you!